The Saint Rémy la Varenne Priory history: from the tenth century to nowadays
Gift certificate (dated 929): Foulques 1st said the Roux yields to the abbey Saint Aubin d’Angers (Order of the Benedictines) an area that the Counts of Anjou owned on the banks of the Loire. This place, then called Chiriacus, will become Saint Rémy la Varenne.
A small religious community settles there and builds the first buildings:
Some are devolved to spiritual life:
• Parts of the church that was then only a chapel.
• Chapter room and its crypt.
Others are related to agricultural activity:
• Tithe barn.
• The initial level of habitation.
Towards the middle of the century, the realisation of a fresco in the chapter house. One of the oldest in Anjou.
Thirteenth and fourteenth century
The Priory is known to be one of the wealthiest profits of Anjou. It derives its prosperity from the agricultural and pastoral activity, the concession of certain parts of its domain against royalties, donations and rights on the boats which transport goods and people from one to the other bank of the Loire.
Expansion of the church: choir built between the twelfth and thirteenth century.
Establishment of the system of the Commendam: in modern terms, it would seem today that the Benedictine Community entrusts the management of the domain to people (notables nevertheless) who no longer belong to the monastic order.
Probable edification of the east tower and the adjacent gable of which one of the rooms is entirely painted, however, it is currently covered with several layers of whitewash.
Many polls reveal a vegetal decoration and friezes (chimney).
Sixteenth and seventeenth century
Priors of great stature give the estate a special glow. We will quote:
• Mathurin Legay de la Hamonière
• Those of the Saint Offange family (4 Priors)
With them, the Priory is deeply reworked and enriched with architecture and Renaissance decorations.
• Construction of the so-called Legay tower
• General raising of the main building with tufa facings (the extra height is probably anterior, but it was made of half-timbering).
• Mullioned windows.
• Large skylights square pediment topped with carved gables.
• Busts were protruding, both in North and South facades.
• Monumental fireplace entirely carved and richly painted (rare polychrome fireplace).
• Many decorative paintings (beams – walls).
This splendour and this pageantry illustrate the metamorphosis of the Priory which, from the initial monastic state, becomes “Châtellenie” while the Prior acquires a status of “Lord”.
The North facade undergoes some reworking:
• Antique medallions (after previous busts).
• Échauguette (bartizan) (late seventeenth century).
Various farmers who owe royalties operate the Priory.
By the French Revolution, the Priory was decreed National property. Various owners follow one another.
Some modifications are made to the building during the nineteenth century:
• The realisation of a terrace, North courtyard, where was planted a Sequoia which will become gigantic and whose presence – with 5/6 meters of the facade – will threaten the building. He will be cut down in early July 2002.
• Piercing French windows instead of old mullioned windows.
Various families, who rent there, inhabited the Priory.
• 1954: The Priory is put on the inventory list of historical monuments.
• 1955: The fresco of the chapter house is listed (28/07/1955).
• 1988: The municipality of St Rémy la Varenne purchased the Priory.
• 1989: The Priory Association founding.
General building study for restoration programming:
• Preliminary interventions (putting out of the water, emergency stabilisations, shoring).
• Archaeological excavations.
Spring 2002 -> Start of restoration work.